dinsdag 2 november 2010

DAY 11 - dealing with culture, moving vertically



1.5 hours later Mohammed stood in our rehearsing room, sweating and taking some breath.
"i'm sorry, I was at the American embassy, they took my phone, they don't care if I have an appointment or not... they just say relax, it's okay, take it easy it's okay..."
I could only look at his face when he spoke, it's making all kinds of flexible mini-yoga movements and because of that my irritation about waiting again, was gone directly.

After an hour of struggeling with words on paper, which we had to translate in Arabic, we stood where I made this picture above: On the roof of the house from Ghaddar, the man who trusts us to make a performance there (!). Beautyfull. You can see all kinds of religions asking for attention on an altitude where most houses don't dare to build. If you have a wall around your city, you can eventually move only vertically, and that's exactly what families (that expand), religions, and even we do.
Taking space is our problem, our motivation and now our intention.

The public lays down to look at the stars. We lay down to look at them.

Suddenly I have a better idea then all my artistic ideas last month (considering this project):
This friday it's possible that Mohammed can not make it on time, to perform together. He lives in Ramallah so he needs to go trough a checkpoint, and you never know how long that takes.
So I had to think about making a solo for that situation.

Suddenly I began to think freely again and I thouth of something more visual and fysical, the things i do best. I'm too used to making solo's, so when I work with Mohammed I like to direct him, and that's not the meaning of this project for me. It's collaborating. So tomorrow I let control go again, like these strangers I contantly ran into:












Want to see more about me and my performance artwork? www.nicksteur.com













Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten