vrijdag 29 oktober 2010

DAY 7 - meeting rappers and searching for love

 Today I searched for love. Why? Because when media highlights one side of reality, it seems really big. And what we see in the news is mostly negative and destructive. I'dd like to highlight another side of Israel > 























Rappers in the mood...

Yesterday Mohammed, my partner told me that the father of his wife died. When these things happen they get priority above all things and it brings you back to the things that really matter. 
Nevertheless I have no actor for the next days, so I concentrated on two rappers that already collaberated last year for this festival. They performed some songs for me and I let them hear mine from ten years ago. 
The twins are 16 but look like 26, and after seeing them rap I'm sure it's not because of there looks.
They took me to their home and when we walked accros the souk (market) I felt less like a tourist, because I was with them, handshaking every ten meters with their friens or familly. Sometimes they kiss on the cheeks (2,3 or even 6 times) sometimes they shake hands and sometimes they hug. I asked what was the difference for them and it was just about how long ago you last saw a person.
Mohammed (yes, his name was also Mohammed) was the one to speak to, as he was the only one who spoke some English. 
He welcomed me to their house. First he showed me the camera's that are installed even at the back of these houses to guard the Palestinians. "this is our kitchen" and he laughed when he was pointing out two gaspits. He greedet his mother by taking her hand, kiss it and put his forehead on her hand, three times. His twinbrother Ali did the same. I was deeply touched by this gesture while thinking of my own mother. 
He showed me the living room which was also their sleeping room: 2 by 3 meters for the mother her two sons and their friend, which was there all the time with us but didn't say a word. I guess saying words was ment for the rappers. A verry small window with thick metal bars that we see in front of allmost all windows in this area, gave us the view of some squere meters from the souk below. The boys just want to perform there songs, which are very political, and that's not exactly what this underground festival is about. It's about small stories, personal ones that have (mostly) nothing to do with the tensions between cultures and politics. They were not very interested to share a personal story and who can blame them? We are so used to deal with freedom in the Netherlands that we have a lot of space and time to choose our daily kind of bread. I feel pretty stupid now with my 'positive' ideas from last afternoon.

Tomorrow I meet them again in the cultural centre where we can rehearse. I will check the location where I am supposed to perform with the other Mohammed my partner. Also I would like to work again on wispering eachothers lenguages in the ear so that the other one shares it with the public. 
It's a nice way of feeling responsebility for your wordchoise. It's a nice way to show transparancy and innocence, it's a nice way of saying: I could be you.

Want to see more about me and my performance artwork? www.nicksteur.com




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten